For more about becoming a spiritual director, see 5 steps to becoming a spiritual director. Many seminaries and retreat centers offer training programs…here are a few that I’m familiar with in the United States:
- San Francisco Theological Seminary in San Anselmo, California. The program at SFTS offers in-depth training, spiritual formation, and help with the process of discerning your call to (or away from) spiritual direction. This is the training that I graduated from in 2004, so if you have questions about what it’s like, I’d be happy to share more with you about my experiences. You can email me (Katarina) at email@example.com.
- Mercy Center in Burlingame, California
- Shalem Institute in Bethesda, Maryland
- Bread of Life in Sacramento, California
- The Chaplaincy Institute in Berkeley, California
Are you a graduate of one of these programs?
Email me if you’d like to write a guest post for Sleep on the Hearth. I’m looking for reviews and stories about spiritual-direction training programs.