For more about becoming a spiritual director, see 5 steps to becoming a spiritual director. Many seminaries and retreat centers offer training programs…here are a few that I’m familiar with in the United States:
- San Francisco Theological Seminary in San Anselmo, California. The program at SFTS offers in-depth training, spiritual formation, and help with the process of discerning your call to (or away from) spiritual direction. This is the training that I graduated from in 2004, so if you have questions about what it’s like, contact me, and I’d be happy to share more with you about my experiences.
- Mercy Center in Burlingame, California
- Shalem Institute in Bethesda, Maryland
- Bread of Life in Sacramento, California
- The Chaplaincy Institute in Berkeley, California
Are you a graduate of one of these programs?
Contact me if you’d like to write a guest post for Sleep on the Hearth. I’m looking for reviews and stories about spiritual-direction training programs.